Hannah “Hank” Kelley is a city planner based in Detroit.
She works at URS Corporation as a Transportation Planner, and previously worked in the Community and Economic Development Department in Ferndale, Michigan, the Detroit Department of Transportation and Michigan Suburbs Alliance. She has a Master of Urban Planning from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
She entered into the urban planning profession because she genuinely loves working for the public good and because she appreciates taking a systems approach to complex problems. She is often confronted with concrete planning challenges in the form of community organizing, public transit service, historic preservation and regional policy.
Her projects range from teaching crash-courses in understanding public transit systems, to weaving and guiding bicycle tours. She has translated among English, Spanish and Portuguese for clients as diverse as Canadian consulting firms, community micro-finance projects, and refugee-shelters. In previous lives she worked as a law clerk, assistant bookkeeper, and waitress.
Kelley’s planning interests include socially just revitalization, public transportation systems, zoning/regulatory reform, free-libre-open source initiatives and community led research.
University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI
8/2012-5/2014 | Master of Urban Planning
- Transportation and Economic Development Planning
- Taubman Scholar
Wayne State University Detroit, MI
08/2007-12/2010 | BA in Political Science – Departmental Honors, Co-Major in University Honors, Minor in Spanish
Henry Ford Community College Dearborn, MI
08/2004-05/2007 | AA in General Studies, Co-Major in Honors
URS Corporation Southfield, MI
05/2014 – Present | Transportation Planner
City of Ferndale Ferndale, MI
07/2013 – 4/2014 | Community and Economic Development Department Assistant
- Assist CED director, City Manager and other staff with public meetings, research and public information materials;
- Create Block Club Toolkit for Ferndale Residents;
- Coordinate “Ferndale Moves!” multi-modal transportation plan, including working with consultant on steering committee meetings, strategic direction for bicycle facilities and amenities;
- Participate in Woodward Complete Streets Advisory Committee meetings and Woodward Alternatives Analysis Advisory Committee meetings.
Michigan Suburbs Alliance Ferndale, MI
11/2012 – 05/2013 | Transportation Projects Intern
- Researched public outreach best practices and MPO reform; created spreadsheets of Michigan legislator information related to Regional Transit Authority vote; assisted in community outreach
Detroit Department of Transportation Detroit, MI
8/2010-3/2012 | Multimodal Planner
- Managed and designed Intern Program, including hiring, weekly project guidance and progress; managed data collectors and support staff to produce reports
- Designed surveys for: Woodward sidewalk audit, bike and pedestrian counts, bus on-time performance survey and other data collection projects
Research, Policy and Grants
- Wrote internal reports and conducted research in areas such as: peer service comparisons, vehicle maintenance, long-term trends and draft Comprehensive Bicycle Policy
- Assisted in writing and reviewing grant progress reports, TIGER and CMAQ grant applications
Representative, Delegate and Task Force Member
- Represented DDOT on: the Detroit Complete Streets Coalition, City Non-motorized Task Force, City Fleet and Fuels Task Force, MDOT Statewide Performance Measures group, SEMCOG
Mapping: ArcGIS, QGIS, TileMill
Quantitative Analysis: R, Excel
Design and Layout: InDesign, Scribus | Illustrator, Inkscape
Web Development: Basic WordPress.org site development, familiar with Drupal site-building
Foreign Language: Fluent in written and spoken Spanish | Intermediate in written Portuguese, Conversational in spoken Portuguese
Regional Transit Authority Southeast MI
2014-2015 | Citizens Advisory Committee Member
- Selected from competitive applicant pool as a representative for the City of Detroit
- Member of By-laws Sub-committee and Policy Committee
OmniCorpDetroit Detroit, MI
09/2011-Present | Member
- OmniCorpDetroit is a collective of makers/doers/thinkers/creators/designers and others who come together in a repurposed industrial building in Eastern Market to work on projects, learn and share together